APPLYING FOR AN F-1 VISA
WHICH VISA IS RIGHT FOR ME?
Most international students in the United States come in F-1 status; others come in J-1 status. There are some major differences between F-1 and J-1 visas. The following are some of the highlights.
|Source of Funding||Substantial financial support from personal or private sources||Substantial financial support from other sources other than personal or private|
|212(e) – Two-year Home Residence Requirement||Not subject to the two-year home resident requirement||Some students may be subject to 212(e), “two-year home resident requirement“|
|On-Campus Employment||May employed part-time (20 hours per week) while school is in session and full-time during breaks||May be employed part-time (20 hours per week) while school is in session and full-time during breaks with ISSS written approval|
May be eligible for Curricular Practical Training2020欧洲杯正规平台 (part-time during school/full-time during breaks) if approved by Academic Advisor and ISSS.
May be eligible for 12 months Optional Practical Training during/after program of study in field related to major. No job offer is required when applying.
|Eligible for 18 to 36 months Academic Training post-completion. Must have a job offer in hand before graduation to apply|
|Dependent||Cannot engage in employment or study||May apply for employment authorization or study part-time or full-time as a student|
I-20 "CERTIFICATE OF ELIGIBILITY"
The I-20 is used to apply for an F-1 student visa. If your plans change and you do not plan to attend the Colorado School of Mines, email the Admissions Office at email@example.com if you are an Undergraduate, or firstname.lastname@example.org for Graduate students.
REVIEW YOUR I-20 FOR ACCURACY, SIGN AND DATE.
Your name and birth date should match your passport. If corrections are necessary, email a copy of your passport to Mark Cramer at email@example.com or Ashley Koerner at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Program State Date coincides with International Student Orientation on the Mines campus. You must enter by the program start date. If your arrival is delayed, please email the International Office at isss.swflairish.com for instructions.
- The Program End Date is an estimate and may not reflect the actual completion date of your degree program.
- The Estimated Average Costs are based on non-resident tuition and fees, and estimated living and school expenses. Actual costs may be higher or lower depending on specific program costs and individual needs. For Cost of Attendance details, go to .
I-901 SEVIS FEE
2020欧洲杯正规平台The I-901 SEVIS Fee ($350) is a required payment to the US government based on your I-20 SEVIS ID number. You are required to pay the I-901 SEVIS Fee before you apply for your F-1 visa or enter the US. Print payment confirmation and keep it with your I-20.
2020欧洲杯正规平台You can pay the SEVIS I-901 fee here: http://fmjfee.com/i901fee
APPLY FOR YOUR F-1 VISA
Now that you have your F-1 I-20 and have paid the SEVIS I-901 fee, you can complete the and make an appointment with the nearest to apply for an F-1. Please review the visa application checklist below:
2020欧洲杯正规平台An international student applying for an F-1 student visa at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad will need to present the following during the visa interview:
- I-20, Certificate of Eligibility Form provided by ISSS at Colorado School of Mines
- Letter of admission provided by Colorado School of Mines
- Financial support documents (Current proof of support that would meet expenses for program duration as indicated on Form I-20 (i.e. bank statements, award letters or loan approval letters)
- Passport valid for a minimum of six months into the future at the time of entry
- Two photos ()
- Receipt for payment of $350 SEVIS I-901 Fee
Visa reciprocity fee may be required by home country. For more information, please visit
2020欧洲杯正规平台• Review the website for the U.S. embassy/consulate in your home country where you are planning to apply for the visa for specific information on appointment wait times and additional F-1 visa application requirements and procedures.
For Citizens of Canada or Bermuda: You are not required to apply for an F-1 visa. You can enter the US with a valid passport, your I-20, financial documentation, and I-901 Fee payment confirmation.
Transfer your SEVIS record to Mines
2020欧洲杯正规平台You must transfer your SEVIS record to Mines if any of the following apply:
- you are currently enrolled in a college, university, or high school in the U.S.
- you have recently graduated from a college, university, or high school in the U.S.
- you have completed or are completing a period of Optional Practical Training (OPT)
- you are currently in valid F-1 status, even if you are outside the U.S.
You do not need to pay the SEVIS fee again if your record is transferred to Mines. The SEVIS fee is related to your SEVIS-number, not the number of I-20s you receive.
You must transfer your record within 60 days of the program end date on your I-20, or within 60 days of your OPT/STEM OPT end date.
Instructions for transferring SEVIS record
- Ask your current (or previous) institution’s International Student Adviser to complete the Authorization Email you sent them via the “Mines Welcomes You! – Pre-Arrival/Orientation Module.”
- Complete any form your current school requires for transfer. Coordinate with your current international student advisor to determine the best date to transfer your record from your current school to Mines. Mines must receive your record before the next academic term begins.
- Wait: The ISSS cannot create your new I-20/DS-2019 until after your SEVIS transfer date. This means your I-20 may take more than 10 business days if you are transferring your SEVIS record to Mines.
HOW EARLY CAN I ENTER THE US?
You may only enter the US up to 30 days before the program start date on your I-20. If you arrive earlier than 30 days and are admitted in a non-F-1 status, you will be required to travel outside of the United States and re-enter on F-1 status before you can begin your academic program.
Arrival to the US should be a smooth experience if you have everything prepared in advance. Information on what to expect when entering the US can be found at .
Complete the Pre-Arrival Checklist. This checklist is required for all students and will help to guide you in your preparations prior to the start of school.
FALL AND SPRING ORIENTATION
Fall or Spring orientation is a mandatory component of your F-1 visa status. The orientation will provide more information about your visa status, resources at Mines, and help your transition into life in the United States. More information is available here.
COLORADO DRIVER'S LICENSE
2020欧洲杯正规平台If you apply for an Colorado driver’s license and the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) cannot verify your immigration status, please visit the International Office, 1st floor Ben. Parker Student Center, for assistance.
SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER
If you will be working on-campus before the term begins and need to apply for a social security number, please review our information online about obtaining a U.S. Social Security Number.
International Student & Scholar Services
1200 16th Street Suite E110 Golden, CO 80401
2020欧洲杯正规平台Monday–Friday 8 am–5 pm
9:00–11:30 am &